"classic Method" of creating your own strain

Thanks for the link, I've always preferred my brown eggs but generally because there are more brown eggs that are from free range chickens sold by individuals so they're just more tasty and of course much more fresh than the white eggs in the supermarket. Seems the defect is mostly in Europe? I've never heard of it here in the US. Interesting but certainly not something that would turn me against brown egg layers although it's something to note in case I ever come across it here.

The article had several grammatical and some spelling errors and did not really seem like a "real" article so it seemed a little suspicious but sometimes, I guess, second hand information by another party isn't always well written.

That was just the first article that I came too about it. There are definitely more articles on it on the internet. In Europe they are trying to breed that gene out of the commercial birds. I don't know if it has ever been studied in Canada or not... But I do know that with the birds that I was talking about, I tried changing feed, bleaching waterers, indoor enviroment, outdoor enviroment and nothing changed the taste. So I hatched a bunch off of those birds and as soon as I had enough on the ground that I could carry on with them, I kileed all the parent stock. Six months later, when the hatched generation started to lay, every egg was the same as thier mother's before them. They were alright in baking, but to fry them on the pan you could even smell the fish. We tried eating the eggs with the original birds for probably about 6 months before we gave up, and tried the pullets for a few months before we got rid of them. In all those months, I tried so hard to make it work, I ate so many bad eggs, I didn't eat eggs at all for a long time, until I learned that white egg layers don't have the gene in question.

Last night I found a fellow not too far from here that has the Silver Spangled Hamburgs as a laying flock. He has 25 hens and a male. I called him and set up to get a couple dozen eggs this week! I hope they hatch, that would give me more birds to go with my trio! I didn't know anyone around here had any.

Quote:
no technicaly you do not. You are making the chocies about breeding, so you now control the line. If I buy by pedigree, which I do, I want to buy from the original breeder, who designed the line and had a plan. You bought a peice of his line. If you bought an f3 of one of his line and an f5 from an unrelated line, you really have to completely differnt gene pools. The orginal breederd may have not intended that these lines be mixed. To many rookies think that the breeder line extend to the new owner. They do not. I own them they are mine. I develope my line from your lines, but becasue I make the choice in how I blened them they become mine. And the orginal ower should not take credit or shame form your success or failure. He conributed to your fate, good or bad, but you made the mating decisions.

It would be your line of the breeders strain.
Quote:

Thats what my mind was thinking, but my fingers were not typing. Thanks and well put.

This may piss people off to even hear about game chickens, but game chicken breeders are famous for quality line breeding. If you get right down to it, most breeds have a little Perfection Gray in them. Yet they come all colors and when the strain is set, you seldom ever see a gray bird. So to add new blood you might be able to infuse another breed that is very much like the breed you have, then line breed to breed most of that out down to about an eigth of the infused blood. You should still be able to have your chickens looking the way you want them, by breeding for traits, and also make them more hardy because of adding new blood. Just my thoughts. It is your flock.

This may piss people off to even hear about game chickens, but game chicken breeders are famous for quality line breeding
Not really. A lot of people on here are very passionate about their game birds. There's nothing wrong with the breed, people just don't like when people own them for bad reasons

Back
Top Bottom