Classifieds and phone numbers...

Bettacreek

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Central Pennsyltucky
I have several ads up in the local classifieds online. I'm trying to get rid of any extra chickies that hatch, as well as some fish and fish tanks/supplies. Anyways, just about everyone who contacts me wants my phone number. They refuse to talk through email. When you have a week old infant and a 16 month old, and you're snagging sleep at random times, you really don't want to give your number out to a bunch of random people so that they can call you, because chances are, they'll call you when you've FINALLY gotten to take a nap. My own family hasn't been calling me because they know that I've been fighting for my sleep, so why would I want random strangers to call? I mean, it's one thing if you've set everything up, the person is definately interested, and they're going to be coming to pick it up, THEN I exchange phone numbers to make pick up easier, but, when setting up a time and such, it's easier to use email.
hmm.png

Anyone here actually prefer to use the phone over email?

Quote:
I prefer email simply because you never know when a deal is going to go bad, and I don't everyone and their mother to have my phone number. I don't really like to have people over the first time either. We live ina fairly bad area, so.....

We turn off the ringer and just leave the answering machine on. Then check them after naps are over.
Also have found when doing email if the person does not understand I dont give out our number we have small children in the house you wouldnt want to deal with anyway.
Or you can just ask them to leave there number on your post and you will get them asap.

How you communicate with buyers is totally YOUR decision.
People shouldn't be so rude as to insist on calling at their convience.

A friend of mine puts in her ads that " due to a busy schedual it is easier for me to email than to converse on the phone". and leaves it at that.

There are other arguments for not wanting phone calls but I am sorry they are rather lame. Your time is just as valuable as the customer and with a new born and a toddler , you have every right to set the conditions of the sale.
If they cant deal with that then I am sorry they should be looking else where.

Besides, you and I know darn well you will finally just about drop off and the phone will wake you and the baby and all chances for a few minutes rest will be gone for hours.

I do not give my phone number to anyone I do not know. Sad to say in this age you really do not know who you are dealing with, Explain that you have a new baby and will only deal by e mail, if they can't accept your terms, simply tell them that is the way you do business and you are sorry you can't help them, AND DON'T FEEL BAD ABOUT IT
thumbsup.gif
marrie

I usually only do email and let them give me their phone #, then you can call them at your convenience. Tell them you prefer email as members of the household work different shifts. Just because they want your phone # doesnt mean they get it. I would recommend a meeting place too, I just tell people I'm far out and will be in town on such and such a day between these times if they want to meet. Then I combine my errands so if it doesnt work out.. I'm not mad about a wasted trip.

Nancy

Back
Top Bottom