classroom incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CedarWaxwing, Feb 5, 2014.

1. CedarWaxwing

CedarWaxwing Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2009
    SW MI
    I'm going to hatch some eggs in my kids' classrooms this spring. The chickens will live at my parents' farm. (They're just starting a flock and we thought this would be a fun way to do it.)

We're hoping to have chickens that are pretty docile since they're be around kids a lot, pretty decent layers and also cold weather hardy (we're in MI)

Like maybe some of these: http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken...r=0,1&b=0,1&c=2,3,4,5,6,8,9,12&d=1&l=2&page=1

Anyway, we'd like about 40 eggs. Does anyone have any recommendations on where I can buy a "variety pack" with some of these? We'd especially like to have some barred rock, but other than that . ... just a variety?

2. HardisonHens

HardisonHens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2014
    Willard NC
    I would look for a local farmer (NPIP/AI clean) to buy eggs from. Buying from an online retailer could get quite expensive for that many eggs. But if you did decide to go with an online retailer I would recommend MyPetChicken.com they have a tool that you can use to see which birds are especially cold hardy, good layers, gentle etc. http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/which-breed-is-right-for-me.aspx
    They also let you pick an assortment of which ever breeds you like to make up your order.
    Worth checking them out! Good Luck!

3. coorusu

coorusu Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2013
  4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
  5. CedarWaxwing

CedarWaxwing Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2009
    SW MI
    Thanks everyone! I contacted the craigslist people . . .I hope I hear back!

I don't have enough posts to post a wanted ad in the buying/selling area, but I'll keep checking it.

Does anyone have any experience hatching eggs from my pet chicken?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by