Clavamox reaction

HenriettaPlume

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 11, 2014
East Lansing
My two year old hen started on clavamox a few days ago. It's for a possible infection of her shell gland. She has been laying soft shelled eggs for two months after nothing for six months. Three days ago she started 275 mg of clavamox twice daily. She has become extremely lethargic and vomits every time I pick her up. She also has clear diarrhea. Giving her the pills has been a real chore between the vomiting and her wiggling even though I wrap her in a towel.

Does anyone know of these are normal side effects? She will be on the drug for a total of ten days. Thank you!!

That dosage seems extremely high - was it vet recommended? Couldn't find a dosage for birds, but for dogs it is 6.25 mg per lb. twice a day.

If it's like it is in parrots it's like 12 mg per 100 grms of bird, so that would be the right amount for a bird a little larger than 5 lbs.

If you used a vet I would contact them and let them know what is happening. Side effects can be diarrhea and lack of appetite.

If not using a vet, and just my personal opinion and in no way professional I would probably stop giving it and find an alternative.

Good luck.

That dosage does seem really high. We have an 8 pound hen who was on clavamox after bumblefoot surgery. She was taking 125mg twice a day.

This is years late, but according to the Merck Veterinary Manual, the proper dosage of clavamox for birds is 125mg/kg once a day. My almost 4kg rooster is getting 500mg of clavamox daily.

Back
Top Bottom