Clean Coal.[educational debate]

dave_Cash69

Songster
10 Years
Feb 15, 2009
kaintucky
I am about to go to the mines[place of employment], and was just wondering what you think of Al Gore and Obama talking about shutting down the fossil fuels which run our nation? Perhaps we can have an educational, mature debate on the issue.

I personally believe its better if we stop using coal and fossil fuels and turn to other things; like bio fuels (from corn, grease, potatoes, ect.)

It can be done, and I think the world would be healthier for it. I mean, if we are going to live on this earth, we need to take care of it, right?

Sorry, but judging from another one of your threads of this nature, I don't get the sense that you really want to debate. I think you know that this is a political hot potato, and as we all know, these threads usually degenerate into "my opinion is the right one" quite quickly. I'm sure there are political forums that are better suited to this kind of topic than a forum devoted to backyard chickens is.

And that is just my opinion!
tongue.png

i live in a coal region, great grandfather and grandfather worked in mines. In my opinion its not healthy for the earth or workers. Clean Coal seems to be an oxymoron to me. And it wont last forever. Lets boost the farmers by planting crops that can be made into alternative fuels. Thats all I have to say.

Last edited:
There is enough coal or coal shale in Utah, Colorado and Wyoming that can be turned into petroleum products to last us for over 100 years... with growth to boot.

I hope that we'll be smart enough to use it.

Crops being used for alternative fuels cause much more harm to the planet than fossil fuels.

Take a look at the Mississippi delta... Hundreds of thousands of tons of top soil has now eroded into the water sheds because folks up stream in Iowa, MN and IL were concentrating on ethanol.

Worse, they had to have fossil fuels to produce the ethanol.

Had the crops been rotated with alfalfa etc... we'd still have years worth of good ground to grow crops in.

Production of ethanol in the mid-west is ruining our planet. We should use what we have.

Batteries for electric or hybrid cars is the same. The fossil fuels required to mine nickel and cadmium are much greater than just using the fossil fuels themselves and the mining of these metals are polluting our waters worldwide!... then what are we to do with the batteries once they wear out? They also will end up polluting our ground water!

The amount of global warming from the burning of fossil fuels is nothing compared to the out put of a good volcano. Something is happening to our world, but I don't think mankind is causing it.

My two cents.

Rufus

Quote:
Do the research. Obviously, fossil is no long term answer. Ethanol and batteries are much less green than fossil. Wind, water, solar, geothermal, etc. are feasible and functional in some places. Iceland is dong great stuff with hydrogen. There are non-lethal ways to solve this problem. The biggest problem is that no one is really LOOKING. Ask Amoco, Exxon, etc., why not....

You are right. Fossil fuels is not a long term answer (Even though we have enough Coal to last us for many, many decades) We need to figure out a good way to "store" electricity.

We have enough sunshine here we should be able to power Phoenix, San Diego and LA, but what happens on cloudy days?

Back
Top Bottom