Clean eggs before setting?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by valley ranch, Dec 26, 2010.

1. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Greetings, Do you clean your eggs before you set them? I'm about to set for incubation, wondering what most experienced hatchers do. Thankyou

Richard

2. pride&joy

pride&joy Chillin' With My Peeps

No I don't wash eggs that are for hatching might knock off a lg piece of poop but no washing?

3. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Rinsing with warm water is fine, but soap can get in the egg and cause a bad hatch. Not very healthy. Do not rinse the eggs unless the water is warm, not cold, so the egg doesn't get struck by coldness and kill the embryo.

4. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    Just did NPIP pre inspection a little while back, the state vet that was there said that washing was not mandatory, however, they strongly advise a disinfecting dip. I normally don't wash or disinfect, unless the egg is really cruddy.

5. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I never wash my eggs and I always have GREAT hatch rates!

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There was a LOOOOOng thread on here about this just recently.

7. valley ranch

Thanks! That's what I needed! I knew not to wash but wondered if cleaning was nessary. I just set a few as is.
    Thankyou

Richard

8. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:Many of em', actually.

9. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    I just set my clean eggs... if its dirty I wash and cook/eat [​IMG]

I do not wash any egg I set. I have had washed eggs sent to me and the hatch rates for me on washed has not been good. yet the unwashed ones have good hatch rates. But thats me personally.. everyone is different.

10. valley ranch

I'm going to set a few eggs tomorrow night. We had 3 days and night without electricity, lost the batch that was in the bator. The girls candled the eggs they all had signs, veins, they had been in the bator for just 4 days.

Richard

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by