Clean faced Araucanas

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
So first if all, I know clean faced ones aren't what you want show quality, but they're what I prefer since they have all the traits I want and I don't have to deal with tufts.

If I breed a clean face to a clean face, will I only get clean faced chicks?

Also can you tell at hatching if they're clean faced or not?

If I breed a clean face to a clean face, will I only get clean faced chicks?

Yes.

(Possible exception: I've read that the tufted gene does not always produce tufts. It usually does, but if you get a bird that has the tufted gene while looking clean faced, then that one might produce some offspring with visible tufts.)

So first if all, I know clean faced ones aren't what you want show quality, but they're what I prefer since they have all the traits I want and I don't have to deal with tufts.

If I breed a clean face to a clean face, will I only get clean faced chicks? Most the time yes. Tufts can sometimes be internal and not seen or felt externally. That is where you can have a bird that looks clean faced but really isn't.

Also can you tell at hatching if they're clean faced or not? Usually. I have had a few chicks not sprout tufts until 2-4 weeks old.
[/QUOT

Okay, thanks. I found someone who sells araucanas online and I can either guarantee I get clean faced ones and buy the older birds, or I can take a chance and get more chicks for the same price but not know if I'm getting just clean faced. I figured if you could tell right away, I would just ask when ordering if it was possible to only get clean faced.

Back
Top Bottom