Cleaning a dirt run?

bkruss

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 13, 2015
I have 4 bantam chickens in a smaller run 8x8. I have no trouble cleaning their coop, but I'm wondering if anyone has any good ideas for cleaning the chicken run. Can I just hoe the poop under every once in a while, or is there an easier way to do it?

Also, I want them to be able to get as many insects, worms, etc that they can while in the run. I assume they'll eat through every insect in a few days if they haven't already. Any ideas on how to keep insects around for them to forage?

Thanks for the help.

I do deep litter in my bantam run. I put grass clippings, hay, chopped up leaves, old mulch, weeds pulled out of the garden, food scraps, just pile it on, a bit at a time, the chickens turn it all in, in the summer it becomes a fluffy dry place to dig for worms and bugs, the poop disappears into the mix.

I do deep litter in my bantam run. I put grass clippings, hay, chopped up leaves, old mulch, weeds pulled out of the garden, food scraps, just pile it on, a bit at a time, the chickens turn it all in, in the summer it becomes a fluffy dry place to dig for worms and bugs, the poop disappears into the mix.
I agree, adding layers of anything natural. Just keep covering that dirt. I never throw away weeds, just add them to the run. Makes for a healthy environment for beneficial bugs.

Thanks guys! That helps a lot. Added some hay, and frost killed greens from the garden. They seem pretty happy now.

Back
Top Bottom