Cleaning a dirty butt.....

LOVELY! I adore rose scented tushies. I'll look into Dr. Bonners. I'm looking for a scentless drought to appease my ticklish nose. Bonus if it works on fluffy butts too.
Thank you, oh so very much!

We did the trimming the other day. A few of our girls were displaying a less-than-attractive female dingle-berry array of poop on their fluffy butts.
No bizarre poops in the poop trays---all poops registered as within the normal range so we were not concerned about any disease process.
I am thinking that, in this extreme cold, they were fluffing themselves out and were unable to shoot their poops beyond their fluff. Hence the poop on the fluff.
We grabbed the girls and had at those poopy butts with a pair of my old bandage scissors.
They were not happy but we were.
All is well, butts are clean.

I've had a couple that just couldn't keep clean. I bring them inside to a downstairs bathroom and put them in the tub. Using latex gloves and the shower head I'll get everything soaking wet and gently work the poo off. It's really not a big deal, and the chickens certainly seem to appreciate it. If it's cold out make sure to blow dry before putting them back out. I've never had to experience it, but I'm deathly afraid of fly strike - so especially in the summer if there's build-up they get a swift ride to the tub.

And for the record, I've never found a pony in there ;)

You're very welcome, the no drought by lush has a tiny bit of a citrusy scent but not overwhelming at all , imagine if the wind blew over an orange starburst and you got a whiff. It used to have a little luster in it but they removed it, I'm glad made the tushes a bit too festive. I don't use anything too loud since strong perfumes give me migraines.
LOVELY! I adore rose scented tushies. I'll look into Dr. Bonners. I'm looking for a scentless drought to appease my ticklish nose. Bonus if it works on fluffy butts too.
Thank you, oh so very much!

Yep, I have one Californnia White hen that needs some cleaning, trimming too. She (Miss Doris) tends to have a watery poop. I first thought it was from large roundworm infestation, so did a two month deworming with Wazine brand piperazine liquid. That didn't change her stool texture. She is a heavy layer, so this too can attribute to messy bottom. She's almost two years old. I like the dry shampoo idea someone gave. The poop can be hard to remove as it can be very sticky and the only way to remove it is by trimming it off. The best to your grooming/cleaning.

Oh you'll love the dry shampoo then! I've got a Delaware mix the same way, she's a jumbo layer and poops like a cow...of course she's white. You come to realize your nastiest rump is always going to be the white ones.:(
Yep, I have one Californnia White hen that needs some cleaning, trimming too. She (Miss Doris) tends to have a watery poop. I first thought it was from large roundworm infestation, so did a two month deworming with Wazine brand piperazine liquid. That didn't change her stool texture. She is a heavy layer, so this too can attribute to messy bottom. She's almost two years old. I like the dry shampoo idea someone gave. The poop can be hard to remove as it can be very sticky and the only way to remove it is by trimming it off. The best to your grooming/cleaning.

I have a constant poopy butt girl! I've watched her, she seems to be a lazy pooper. No effort. Just let's it slide on out... i shake my head every time i see her backside in chaos! I do bring her in and clean it, mainly to check her vent and make sure there isn't prolapse. She always has a poopy backside and she is my only white hen. I have trimmed her feathers back there but i dont think i have gotten it close enough. I'm quite timid doing those things. Best of luck with yours:love
20180123_170644.jpg

That's not too bad for her^^. She looks alot better from the front:lau
20180121_140915.jpg

Back
Top Bottom