Cleaning a plastic waterer

denim deb

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 15, 2010
I have a 3 gallon plastic waterer for my chickens. At least 1x a week, I'll empty it and scrub it, more often if it's been really sunny out since it will start to turn green. Someone told me I should scrub it w/bleach and water to kill any bacteria, etc. Is this something I should be doing, and if so, what kind of bleach/water ratio should I have?

I use a little bleach every day when I clean the plastic waterer. If I don't, it turns green from one day to the next; I get some green anyway. I also soak it with about a cup of bleach in however much water it takes to cover, though mine is a one gallon waterer. If there is a precise proportion to use, I don't know it. Seems like they talk on TV about using half a cup in half a bucket of water to sanitize toys; best to soak them a few minutes.

I clean my bowls and waterers once a week. I use hot soapy water with a little bleach. Rinse well.
big_smile.png

I also shade them from the sun. Helps with the green stuff.

Last edited:
1 tsp of bleach to 1 qt of water is food handling proprotions. That's what I would use. Rinse well with clear water and let air dry.
Tho once I started putting a T. of apple cider vinegar per gallon of water, I have little to no algae growth in my plastic water container. I still empty it and scrub with a brush every week.

The bleach ratio below sounds good. Another tip, I put a tablespoon or two of rice in with the water/bleach - it helps to really get it clean much faster and I just have to shake and rinse!
smile.png

I clean mine once a week, I too have the green problem. I bought a toilet brush, which I keep just for the waterers, gets in there quite well to get off any green stuff. I also use bleach don't measure, but rinse well.

Back
Top Bottom