Cleaning agents in the coop? What do you use?

Princessferf

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
Wisconsin
I am doing a thorough cleaning of my coop and the floor inside is linoleum. Can I use a bleach/water mixture when I scrub it down? Or is there another cleaner that is safe for birds? Vinegar and water, perhaps?

Any tips or feedback about "cleaning the coop" would be wonderful!

Lots of people swear by bleach and water, and it's recommended in most chicken books, so it's probably fine (as long as it's not fume-y when the chickens go back in).

I personally don't like to use bleach due to the possible carcinogens (am a cancer survivor). I use HOT water and natural dish soap, and vinegar-and-water. But our coop never gets super dirty since we don't do deep-litter-method and we do a major scrubdown every couple months. We also do a whitewash of food grade DE with water, painted onto the areas that seea lot of poop (droppings board and roost). WE have linoleum as well.

* My girl is STILL(!) overnighting in the tub with her roost basket. I clear and wash it down in the a.m., scrub with a broom and a tiny bit of 7th Gen. and rinse, then follow with a a weak bleach solution and let it dry on while she's out for the day.

I use a shovel once or [rarely] twicw a year and don't remember the last time I had a sick chicken. They're chickens folks-given the opportunity they'll make their living by picking undigested grain out of a horse manure pile. How clean does a coop have to be?

I used to use TRAIL and they are great for coops, dog kennels and bathroom floors.

Good old bleach and water or water and vinegar works well too!

Quote:
That was going to be my approach. Remove all of the straw, hose it down real good, let it dry out and lay down some new straw.

But... the coop is kinda nasty right now since rats had gotten in there (we have since built a moat w/ alligators and electronic movement sensors that vaporize any intruder with a lazer... the chickens use "beak recognition" to access the coop
big_smile.png
), so I was wanting to clean it out with something a little better than just a high-powered hose.

I think I'll use a solution of bleach water, just to kill off any nasties that might cause problems.

I like to consider myself someone who likes to provide a nice environment for the animals that are in my care... but I don't consider my chickens "pets", per se.

I clean mine from the deep litter in the spring, allow to air dry for the day, in the evening place pine shavings, not full mind you.
Then I'll clean under the roost, nests and stuff in June or July.
Again in October, that is the last one for the winter. I do cover the "wet" mess with shavings to spruce it up over the winter.

To be honest, I have had chickens in the past and the only thing that is allowed for cleaners are the shavings and sunshine/air. Don't allow the girls to be to air tight, the amonia can over whelm all of us.

I shovel everything out, sling 7 dust everywhere, let it sit for a couple of hours, hose it out, spray with bleach and water, hose out again and then let it air dry. Add shavings and chickens and you're done.

Back
Top Bottom