1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cleaning cabinet incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dustponds10, Feb 28, 2014.

1. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    So in the past I have used clorox and I have had good success. I dont have the time to order anything as I am going to be needing to set some eggs here quick. Is clorox the best way to clean my incubators? One is a Sportsman the other is a Dickie. I dont think that matters at all but I thought I would throw that out there. Anyways please let me know what you use to clean your cabinet incubators. and how in the heck to you all make sure all the surfaces are clean? I use a spray bottle with water and clorox.

2. dustponds10

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Nobody has any advice for me on this?

3. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I use disinfecting wipes and hope I got all the surfaces. I then spray the inside with Oxine AH. I am not sure if it's good enough by some people's standards, but it seems to work for me.

I only clean mine 2-3x a year. Once before I fire it up for the year, maybe once if I think there is a problem with bacteria in my hatches (hasn't been an issue so far) and when I shut it down for the year. I haven't had an egg explode, so no real need for any extra middle of the season cleanings either.

4. dustponds10

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Thank you, I really appreciate your input I was wondering if I was going over board with cleaing it every hatch. I now have 2 cabinet incubators that I will be using, one is a sportsman and I am going to use it for incubation for the first 18 days, the other is a dickie which I am going to be using as a hatcher. I hope that this works well for me so I can incubate every egg I want with out letting any go until I have my numbers. What is your opinion? I shouldnt have to clean the Incubator that I just use for the first 18 days should I? Only the when I fire it up and when I shut it down?

5. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    That should be fine for your Sportsman. I know people who never shut their 'bators down and I wonder how and when they clean theirs. Maybe never?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by