Cleaning Cast Iron

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SarahFair, Jun 15, 2010.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Ok so for fathers day I bought him a cast iron pan to make individual corn bread pieces. I got it from a flea market for $15..
    Not bad at all! Seems to be in awesome condition. The only thing wrong with it, it seems to have some kind of hard black build up in some spots
    I would like to clean it some how..

Any ideas?

...also...
    I havent been too good to mine and its started to rust.
    What should I do about that?

2. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    You can scour off the black spots with a stiff brissle brush. You more than likely need to re-season the cast iron. This involves rubbing it with vegetable oil and baking it in the oven. If you look on the LODGE manufacturing Co www.lodgemfg.com you may find the instructions or you can call them TN (423) 837-7181.

They recommend never using soap on the cast iron, dry very toughly after washing and spray with a light coat of PAM to prevent rust.

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Is the hard black the seasoning on the cast iron? You can put the cast iron on a bed of hot coals and it will burn the old seasoning off. Don't get it to hot or you will ruin it. Then you just re oil it and stick it in the oven for a couple hours on low heat. That will re season the cast iron. All our pans are cast iron. We were at an auction one time and there was a whole box of frying pans and griddles. I bought it for a couple dollars, that was a steal.

We use regular dish soap on ours and after it's dry put a teaspoon of oil on it and rub it in with a paper towl, you want to coat it lightly with oil and they won't rust.

Steve

4. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Its kinda crusty...
    It seems to be nicely seasoned but then again some of the sections look dry.
    Id hat to give it to him in this state but he knows 100000x more about cleaning them than I ever would [​IMG]

5. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    So I scratched off some of the gunk with my nail and it looks like either rust under it or old corn bread.
    Im thinking I should just start all over with it..

6. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    Cant spray oven cleaner on cast iron???

I use it to clean the engine in my truck every once in a while, and I believe the block is cast iron . . .
    Works great.

7. rnoyster

rnoyster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Conway, South Carolina
    SarahFair.....
    I just put mine in the self cleaning oven whenever they get so caked that you can't really clean them well. BUT....after they are done, you wioll need to reseason them real well! The self cleaning oven gets up to around 750 degrees ( I understand) and it just burns all the seasoning out of the pores of the cast iron. Us some vegetable oil or vegetable shortening, smear it all over the pan and set it in the oven, set at 200 degrees. After a couple of hours your pans will be seasoned and you shouldn't have any trouble with them. My mother used them for years and when they got kind of grimy, she simply washed them in hot soapy dish water, rinsed them real well and dried them with a towel. After she got them as dry as she could with a towel, she set them on a burner, turned to low, for a couple of minutes so that she was sure that they were completely dry. Every couple of months, she would reseason them and put them in the oven after cooking dinner with the oven off, just the residual heat from cooking. All done.

8. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Im sending the both to work with the SO tomorrow so he can use the air gun wire brissle on them..
    Then I will re-season them [​IMG]

If this thing says Pat. Pending on the back would that mean its old?

9. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    Do check the link ranchhand posted..incase you don't..a few things to remember: I agree with Steve BUT be careful with the hot coals..if too hot your piece can crack or warp; I usually use my self cleaning oven, you will have to reseason the entire piece..I prefer lard; oil will get gummy if not used often. On very hard to clean pieces we have a drum with lye water that we use to soak, sometimes takes ten days or so, then I soak overnight in soapy water and then dry in the oven on low, reseason. (the lye water is a last resort to very tough build up)

Last year there was a thread about cast iron on here and someone posted that they used Coke to soak theirs in..??..i haven't tried this yet..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by