cleaning coop disinfecting soil .......

You should be able to get lime at a garden store or a co-op. I can get it at big R. Or order it through my co-op. Its a good idea that you have! I'm going to be doing it as well every year to my coops.

Last edited:
Probably whitewashing the coop. That's what I'm going to do. Lime is a great disinfectant and will whiten and brighten the inside. It repels insects and is what they used 100+ years ago to paint with. It really is a awesome natural product! You can use it in the soil to change the ph ballance and make it unfriendly to parisites.
This is what I've read about it I could be wrong though as I haven't ever used it myself before....yet!
smile.png

We use hydrated lime to disinfect the concrete floor of the hen house. We just broom it in and cover it with bedding. In between flocks (we have a small commercial operation and change out the flock once a year), I use it on the soil just outside the doors of our hen house where the ground is more manure than dirt. I spread it heavily and let it cake over. If there's still a lot there by the the time the new flock comes in I break it up with a fork and toss it around the pasture.

You can get it at just about any farm supply or feed store.

Back
Top Bottom