cleaning coop

Bcampo

Chirping
Jan 19, 2019
Baltimore, Maryland
Hi all,
i’m getting ready for the big spring clean on my elevated coop. Have any of you installed a floor drain to sweep the dirty water into? after washing it down? i usually use a wet/dry vac but was thinking this might be easier. if so how did you rodent proof it?
thank you!

Hi all,
i’m getting ready for the big spring clean on my elevated coop. Have any of you installed a floor drain to sweep the dirty water into? after washing it down? i usually use a wet/dry vac but was thinking this might be easier. if so how did you rodent proof it?
thank you!

Here and there I do a wall-wash in my coop because my chickens are professional poop-painters. Use pine bedding pellets at the base of your walls to soak up the moisture.

Also- don't use a hose. Get a cheap garden type sprayer like this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-2-Gal-Pump-Sprayer-1502HDXA/307766539 -- very efficient and will reduce the amount of water you use while getting the job done. You can use a little dish soap if need be.

Otherwise I usually do as others have suggested - first I use the leaf blower to get rid of all dust (wear a mask!!!), starting with roof panels and rafters on down - might have to do it in stages. Collect the majority of the nesting/bedding material, use the blower on everything then re-bed.

first I use the leaf blower to get rid of all dust (wear a mask!!!)
Oh yes, absolutely use a mask (and goggles if you can stand it). I also suit up with old pants and long sleeve shirts from hubby's toss pile, boots, gloves, and an old shower cap to protect hair and ears. As I clean once a year the amount of dust inside the coop is insane when it all gets stirred up, so the more you cover up the better.

Oh yes, absolutely use a mask (and goggles if you can stand it). I also suit up with old pants and long sleeve shirts from hubby's toss pile, boots, gloves, and an old shower cap to protect hair and ears. As I clean once a year the amount of dust inside the coop is insane when it all gets stirred up, so the more you cover up the better.

Yep! Actually I just head straight for the shower - there's a whole pile of clothes devoted to painting and deep cleaning the coop. Thankfully the ventilation fan helps spit the dust back outside but it's a dreaded task, even after just a couple of months.

Here and there I do a wall-wash in my coop because my chickens are professional poop-painters. Use pine bedding pellets at the base of your walls to soak up the moisture.

Also- don't use a hose. Get a cheap garden type sprayer like this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-2-Gal-Pump-Sprayer-1502HDXA/307766539 -- very efficient and will reduce the amount of water you use while getting the job done. You can use a little dish soap if need be.

Otherwise I usually do as others have suggested - first I use the leaf blower to get rid of all dust (wear a mask!!!), starting with roof panels and rafters on down - might have to do it in stages. Collect the majority of the nesting/bedding material, use the blower on everything then re-bed.
This is a great routine! Great idea using the pellets. Never even occurred to me.

I suppose a drain would do something similar. Might be worth a try! I just know that wet = bad juju here.

i’ve used the blower before but it seems to just stir it up instead of remove it.
Really...where does it go?

How about vacuuming?
MUCH more efficient. I use the shop vac once a year or so, definitely clean the filter afterwards(I use the air compressor for that).

Really...where does it go?

MUCH more efficient. I use the shop vac once a year or so, definitely clean the filter afterwards(I use the air compressor for that).
I start with "scrubbing" all the surfaces with a cobweb duster like this:
1647868030193.png
Then remove the bedding and sweep.
Then shop vac.
Then open everything up and leaf blow.
All of this while wearing a very well fitted dust mask. And followed by a long hot shower.
I've never washed a wall, the ramp or the roosts, just the windows.
I've never cleaned out the poop boards but will do a "super scoop". I'm in the process of transitioning over from PDZ to coffee bedding for the boards to see if that will help reduce dust.
When I was cleaning the front windows yesterday I heard what I thought was scratching around in the coop litter for the little bit of seed I tossed in there. When I went in, two big hens were having a fine dust bath on the poop boards. They were both rather unceremoniously tossed out the door.

Back
Top Bottom