cleaning eggs

I don't....If they are really dirty I run them under water real fast and do a quick check...otherwise they go as is, and I instruct my buyers to rinse if they want. I want them to stay as fresh as they can, for as long as they can...I don't want the bloom being washed off. Besides, if the boxes are clean, there isn't much poop inside them anyhow, unless it is stuck to the hen's rear

Uhm...what is the bloom? I scrambled some this morning and I didn't wash them before I cracked them...I just didn't think I should...didn't I read somewhere that if you wash them it opens up the pores or something? Hope that doesn't sound silly...lol...learning as I go here :)

I don't wash my eggs either. The bloom protects them and the eggs are usually clean. If there is something on one, I use a damp cloth to remove it and use the egg first.

I take eggs down to my mom when we visit. She hadn't been able to eat eggs for over a decade and decided to try a bite of one of mine. She didn't get sick so she ate more. No issues with my eggs. Last week she'd ran out of eggs and had bought some store eggs. She was making scrambled eggs for my dad and niece and had one little bite. She was sick for the next 8 hours. I asked here about this way back when she learned she could eat my eggs. The figuring is that the egg wash enters the egg enough to make her sick. Mom's really sensitive to stuff and I felt so bad for her that night when she called. She was begging me to make the trip down with more good eggs for her.

Back
Top Bottom