Cleaning Eggs

but what about if i sell my eggs?? cause it's a lot easier to not clean them, but i don't want any complaints from customers

When I had a flock of 25 chickens about 20 yrs. ago, I would sell my eggs and would wash them before placing them in their cartons.

Now after a long break from having any chickens, I only have 2 laying hens. I gather my eggs in the morning right after they're laid and immediately put the unwashed (and perfectly clean) eggs in the refrigerator. Call me old school on that one, I just feel more comfortable keeping them in the cooler temperature since I can't eat 2 eggs every day.

My eggs often have dark speckles on them, that come off when washed. So, since I give eggs away to friends, family, the food pantry, etc., I wash them with just plain water, and sometimes scrub a bit with a nylon dish brush or damp sponge, then they go into the fridge. Should I not be doing that?

However, I will keep them on the counter for up to a week before I get around to washing and storing them, and I'm quite content to use them myself right out of the counter basket after a quick rinse.

but what about if i sell my eggs?? cause it's a lot easier to not clean them, but i don't want any complaints from customers
This is something you will have to work out with your customers. Some may want them unwashed, others may want them that way.

Most of my customers I do not see face to face. All they know of me is what they see when they open their egg carton. In that case I want them to see a premium product that is as fresh to them as I can manage. Thus they are all washed and refrigerated every day.

If they are fertilized can you still leave them on the counter at room temperature?
I wouldd refrigerate over 80 degrees if not using in the next 3-4 days. THe embryo grows very slowly at 80-85 degrees. Below that it doesn't grow at all. This if from a graph in Janet Stromberg's book on Hatching Eggs.

Back
Top Bottom