Cleaning gunk in sytrofoam cracks

LarissaCluck

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 11, 2011
Central Coast, CA
Ok so I finished a hatch last week and have cleaned out the styrofoam bottom of the Hovabator 1602. Problem is...I had one chick with some bleeding and there is a lot f staining (possilby still material?) in the cracks of a few areas. I don't think I could get it out without scrubbing off the actual styrofoam.

I washed it with a diluted bleach solution. I am starting another batch next week...do you think that's clean enough? Any suggestions, or is that just what happens with the foam incubators? Any other suggestions?

(Should mention to that I am borrowing this one...)

One part bleach to ten parts water will kill anything left in the bator. You may still have some staining but it won't do anything to harm the next batch. That's the same disinfectant we use in our ambulances

Really? I was wondering what I was going to do. I kind-of thought bleach or chemicals other than dish soap might melt the Styrofoam. What works best? And has anyone ever destroyed the Styrofoam? Maybe I should go to the gas station and get a couple cups to experiment on. It'll take my mind of my hatching chickies, anyway.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Well I didn't let the diluted bleach sit on the styrofoam for forever and it seemed to be fine! Don't know about plain ol bleach though. ANd I imagine it could damage it if you let it sit for a long time ont here.

Back
Top Bottom