1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cleaning incubator and removing eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ms doliite, Apr 1, 2015.

1. ms doliite

ms doliite New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    I have about a dozen eggs that have been in an incubator for about a week. I noticed a bad smell last night so I removed the eggs and discovered that the water trays were the source of the odor. I had one chic hatch a week before I put these eggs in. and apparently I didn't get all of the after birth stuff cleaned up. I cleaned the incubator about an hour ago and am letting it dry over night will I be ok to put the eggs back in the incubator or am I wasting my time?

2. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    You need to keep the eggs at incubation temperature once started. Put them back in now as they will probably die or have serious issues if left until tomorrow.

3. Bradfordj

Bradfordj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    X2!!! Get them back in there asap, no time for pissin around! Towel dry or what ever. I would have maybe taken the water tray itself out temporarily, but that's it. Egg temperatures are very important. Keep in mind you will now need time to get your incubator temperature settled again. I wish you luck! I really do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by