1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cleaning out nest boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lorain's fids, Mar 7, 2012.

1. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    I have 3 nest boxes for 5 chickens. I use pine shavings in them. I was wondering how often does everybody change the shavings or straw that they use in the nest boxes. The girls don't poop in them, so the shavings rarely get dirty. I have been cleaning them out about every 2 weeks, just to freshen them up.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    About the only time I clean mine out is when a broody hatches in the nest, but I cleaned one once when an egg was broken in there. So lets say about every two to four years, maybe.

3. Johnboy78

Johnboy78 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    I've got two buckets for nesting along with the built in box in my coop.
    They must sleep in the coop one because they poop it up.
    The buckets have straw and shavings in them.
    In four months I haven't emptied them, just added straw as they
    pack down the stuff inside.

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    About twice a year when the whole place gets cleaned. Or if needed by the box; ie broken egg.

5. Maggie C

Maggie C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    Largo, FL

I have the same thing you do - 3 boxes for 5 girls and I clean them out/freshen them up about every 2 weeks. It works for me and my girls are happy. Maybe not necessary to clean them so often but that's what I do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by