Cleaning out the run...disease?

chickylou

Songster
10 Years
Jan 29, 2009
Valparaiso
Hi,

Another question popped up that I need some answers to.

What do you do about your chicken runs? Do you clean out the poop from there or hope that it all dissolves - seeps back into the soil?

We have almost all sand. What would be your cleaning procedure to avoid bacteria or disease?

Thanks

rake off daily (sand)... it will not "go away" but build up and become pathogenic if you do not clean out regularly.

I have learned recently that a good practice is to use an agricultural lime. There is a procedure for using it. You have to spread it while keeping the chickens off the surface for enough time until it is washed through the soil by the rain. This is also beneficial by changing the acid level of the soil so that certain parasites cannot live there, along with earthworms which carry certain parasites. It is also great for eliminating bacterii and helps to decompose the dung you do not remove.

I learned it from a farmer who uses it on his cow poo. It works really great and it cuts down odor a lot too. He says the agricultural lime is the best. You can't let the chickens walk on it fresh. It hurts their feet. The rain has to wash it into the soil over a week or so. I think you can wash it through the soil to speed up moving your birds.

Does anyone know about that?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom