Cleaning Outdoor Rabbit Cage

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Ashmeade, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Ashmeade

Ashmeade Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    We have an outdoor rabbit cage where our rabbit we had passed away a few weeks ago. We THINK it was old age though I am not certain. He had not been sick and seemed to have just gone to sleep. That being said, I cannot totally rule out something other than old age causing his death. We have recently got a new rabbit, who is staying indoors for the winter but in the spring I would like the option to put him outside at times and use the outdoor cage. With that in mind, I am looking for recommendations on the best way to fully clean the outdoor cage in the event that there was a disease or something that our new rabbit could catch... Any advice there would be appreciated![​IMG]

Edited to add, it is a wooden cage with wire. I had been thinking bleach but I did not want that to soak into the wood and cause issues when the rabbit chews on the cage, etc.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    If bleach is not an option then maybe a wash down with water that has some grapefruit seed extract(GSE) or tea tree oil(TTO). I think even garlic,lavender,and lemons have anti-bacterial properties. There are pet cage cleaners sold at the store that might also do the trick.
    Some use vinegar. I have used lysol spray and wipes,but that was for plastic and wire.

3. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    You could just use dish soap and water, and spray it out with a hose. That is what I used to do with mine.

4. sixshooter60

sixshooter60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Stuart Oklahoma
    Get a long handle stiff brush and a bucket of soapy water and scrub it down good and then rinse it . then get you some oxine its way better than bleach as it kills almost every kind of bacteria and its non toxic to you or animals.. mix a solution of 1/4 tablespoon to a gal of water in a sprayer or a spray bottle and spray it down good and leave it to dry on its own it will kill the bacteria . i use it on a weekly basis in the chicken coop and to clean waterers and feeders.. you can google it and read about . its good stuff...

5. Ashmeade

Ashmeade Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Thanks! I think I will try a mixture of these suggestions. That way cage will be totally sterile by spring! [​IMG]

6. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    You don't have to worry about bleach staying in the wood. Bleach evaporates readily and the only residue might be a salty one, I would use bleach and rinse very well several times, then allow to air dry for several days before putting the new rabbit in [​IMG]

7. OhioEggs

OhioEggs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    Springfield, OH
    Diluted bleach will do the trick. It's in any city water anyway!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by