Cleaning Outdoor Rabbit Cage

Ashmeade

Songster
10 Years
Aug 5, 2009
We have an outdoor rabbit cage where our rabbit we had passed away a few weeks ago. We THINK it was old age though I am not certain. He had not been sick and seemed to have just gone to sleep. That being said, I cannot totally rule out something other than old age causing his death. We have recently got a new rabbit, who is staying indoors for the winter but in the spring I would like the option to put him outside at times and use the outdoor cage. With that in mind, I am looking for recommendations on the best way to fully clean the outdoor cage in the event that there was a disease or something that our new rabbit could catch... Any advice there would be appreciated!
wink.png

Edited to add, it is a wooden cage with wire. I had been thinking bleach but I did not want that to soak into the wood and cause issues when the rabbit chews on the cage, etc.

Last edited:
If bleach is not an option then maybe a wash down with water that has some grapefruit seed extract(GSE) or tea tree oil(TTO). I think even garlic,lavender,and lemons have anti-bacterial properties. There are pet cage cleaners sold at the store that might also do the trick.
Some use vinegar. I have used lysol spray and wipes,but that was for plastic and wire.

Get a long handle stiff brush and a bucket of soapy water and scrub it down good and then rinse it . then get you some oxine its way better than bleach as it kills almost every kind of bacteria and its non toxic to you or animals.. mix a solution of 1/4 tablespoon to a gal of water in a sprayer or a spray bottle and spray it down good and leave it to dry on its own it will kill the bacteria . i use it on a weekly basis in the chicken coop and to clean waterers and feeders.. you can google it and read about . its good stuff...

Thanks! I think I will try a mixture of these suggestions. That way cage will be totally sterile by spring!
wink.png

You don't have to worry about bleach staying in the wood. Bleach evaporates readily and the only residue might be a salty one, I would use bleach and rinse very well several times, then allow to air dry for several days before putting the new rabbit in
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom