Cleaning quail cage

Discussion in 'Quail' started by copperduck, Mar 6, 2017.

1. copperduck

copperduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    Doylestown ohio
    I want quail pretty bad but heard you need to clean the cage everyday. Is this true? Something about the amount of ammonia is to high, im afraid quail might not be for me.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Many quail = many gumdrops Few quail = less gumdrops. I think that if you have a well vented cage you should not encounter much ammonia. You can also use Sweet PDZ on the floor which will neutralize the ammonia. My suggestion for you is to try with small numbers and see if that is for you. I don't keep quail even though I wish I did. My situation is ....... no cages, and if I let them free range with my chickens, they would fly away and escape.
    WISHING YOU BEST [​IMG]

3. copperduck

May 14, 2015
    Doylestown ohio
    That makes sence thanks for your reply

4. QuailCo Eggs

QuailCo Eggs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    Hooper, UT
    I don't clean my quail cages every day. once a year I take a tiller to my fly pens and turn over the dirt because you are right, it does stink when the ground gets wet. However, I have a lot of birds which equals more smells. I also have quail in cages, as long as they are pooping through the bottom of the cage onto the floor, you don't have to clean the cage often. I clean mine once a year. and I scoop out the poop off the floor every 3-4 weeks.

Chad

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2017
  5. Dani xxx

Dani xxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2016
    Farnham common bucks uk
    I clean mine once a week I only have 7 quail I have a eglu chicken coop from omlet website I have bark chippings in the run which I just turn over every few weeks!x I don't notice any smell but they are outside ! X

6. copperduck

May 14, 2015
    Doylestown ohio
    Oh cool that dont sound bad at all i will have them outside also, and i dont plan on getting alot at all so thats reassuring to hear thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by