Cleaning run

Unfortunately, part of the problem with those tiny, pre-fab coops is that the coop portion is not large enough to do a good layer of Deep Bedding (did you read the article?), and the run is too small to allow the Deep Litter to develop a good balance. :(

With that coop you will need to be cleaning more than you probably want to. But using Deep Bedding and Deep Litter to the extent possible will reduce the frequency of cleaning.
x2. Is this the entire set up or do you have a bigger run outside of this?

Deep litter does require a certain amount of volume to work "hands off" and a small coop/run like this can't possibly hold that amount of litter (you'd have to fill it to the ceiling). So when you see people touting that their deep litter takes care of itself, or that they only clean the coop twice a year, that's because they have enough volume of litter to be able to absorb the poop that lands in it.

Unfortunately, part of the problem with those tiny, pre-fab coops is that the coop portion is not large enough to do a good layer of Deep Bedding (did you read the article?), and the run is too small to allow the Deep Litter to develop a good balance. :(

With that coop you will need to be cleaning more than you probably want to. But using Deep Bedding and Deep Litter to the extent possible will reduce the frequency of cleaning.
I saw what they did but don’t have the time sadly. If deep litter doesn’t work then is there another option. Thanks so much for helping me 😀

I saw what they did but don’t have the time sadly. If deep litter doesn’t work then is there another option. Thanks so much for helping me 😀

Given where you live and the snow y'all get it's time to make time so you're not scrambling in snow trying to fix it.

So keep the sand?

So keep the sand?

It doesn't matter what manure management system you choose, a very small coop/run will take a lot of maintenance.

Since there is no one system that suits every person you can go ahead and try the sand. If you don't like it, you can replace it with wood chips and see how you like those. :)

It doesn't matter what manure management system you choose, a very small coop/run will take a lot of maintenance.

Since there is no one system that suits every person you can go ahead and try the sand. If you don't like it, you can replace it with wood chips and see how you like those. :)
Thanks I’ll look into both more

Back
Top Bottom