Cleaning the Coop

smdcleland

Songster
Sep 4, 2021
Upstate, NY
Hello! I have read some conflicting things regarding cleaning the coop. Some say to do it weekly because it is not sanitary for the chickens to be in their own waste, but I've also read that building more hay on top of the waste can create good insulation for the winter. Right now it's been a week since cleaning. Should I just add more hay, or shovel the soiled hay out?

Shannon

There are reasons why cleaning a coop regularly is beneficial to your chickens. Chickens poop prodigiously overnight, and accumulation of even a few days will elevate ammonia levels and cause respiratory irritation.

And it also smells awful.

Installing poop boards under the roosting perches was the first and best tip I ever got from BYC. It allows me to easily scrape them and wash all the poop off each morning, and the coop remains poop free all day.

And it never smells bad.

IMG_0864.JPG

Essentially, yes, they are a board under the roost. This is a picture of mine. The roost is about 8" above the board, and there's about 1/2" of sweet PDZ on it.

PDZ is a granular form of zeolite, and you can get a bag of it at TSC. It absorbs moisture, and therefore ammonia and odor. The poop dries out and is easy to scoop off. Fine for organic gardening, too, if that's a concern.

Back
Top Bottom