Cleaning up poop question...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chilisweet, Jul 15, 2008.

1. chilisweet

chilisweet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    so what do you use to clean up the poop with? In the run and in the yard and in the coop? A rake? A modified rake? I'm sick of stepping in dried turds and I'm sure my garden could use the poop more than my feet can. [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    We use a rake and shovel.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I use a rake and then my horse pooper scooper!

EDIT to add: I have a cat box scooper in the coop as well, but its too small and takes too long! I left it hanging there for FAST removal of broody poop

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I wouldn't know what to tell you to use for your outside dirt floors... however i have the best invention ever made for inside your coop floor.

If the floor of your coop is something like plywood, or linoleum, or something other than dirt, go to Home Depot. Get on of those blade looking things that they spread plaster on drywall with. Then screw the handle of the blade to an old broom stick. You can then use the contraption to scrape the dried poop off the floor of your coop. It works wonders!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2008
  5. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i use a hoe upside down and it picks up the poops super scooper fast. then i put them in a bucket and out to the field they go....
    the chickens like to follow me around while i scoop. maybe they think the hoe will somehow materialize into food!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by