Cleaning used brooder bin

I always use pine shavings, a long feeder that can be cleaned out, and hanging nipple water bottle drinker, so they are used to the system before they are introduced to an existing flock.

I purchased the bin only. No new chicks or anything. I want to make sure it's clean and doesn't have any parasites, or anything like that, in it before I put my chicks in there.

I purchased the bin only. No new chicks or anything. I want to make sure it's clean and doesn't have any parasites, or anything like that, in it before I put my chicks in there.

Mine is plywood, with a chicken wire lid where the heat lamps sit on top as necessary. When it gets dirty, the chicks are temporarily put in a box, and the shavings are removed. I have a stick on lynolium bottom to prevent it from rotting. The new shavings layer does not cause a problem for slips as they walk on the shavings.

Do I need to be concerned with sanitizing it before I put my chicks in there? Is is possible there could be any bugs or parasites in the box from the previous inhabitants.

I used a very weak bleach solution on our coop about twice a year when we do our major cleanout. I keep the hens away until it is well washed and dried out so they dont try and drink the water. I have not raised chicks yet though but I would think a similar solution would work to clean a brooder out if there are no chicks present yet.

Back
Top Bottom