1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cleaning used brooder bin

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Birdwatcher804, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Birdwatcher804

Birdwatcher804 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2017
    East Tennessee
    I purchased a used intermediate brooder bin for my 4 week old chicks. What is the best way to clean it before I put them in it? It is made of OSB board.

2. RoosterCogburn7

RoosterCogburn7 Chicken Atlas Farm NPIP 74-4231 Premium Member

Dec 5, 2014
    I always use pine shavings, a long feeder that can be cleaned out, and hanging nipple water bottle drinker, so they are used to the system before they are introduced to an existing flock.

3. Birdwatcher804

Apr 24, 2017
    East Tennessee
    I purchased the bin only. No new chicks or anything. I want to make sure it's clean and doesn't have any parasites, or anything like that, in it before I put my chicks in there.

4. RoosterCogburn7

RoosterCogburn7 Chicken Atlas Farm NPIP 74-4231 Premium Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Mine is plywood, with a chicken wire lid where the heat lamps sit on top as necessary. When it gets dirty, the chicks are temporarily put in a box, and the shavings are removed. I have a stick on lynolium bottom to prevent it from rotting. The new shavings layer does not cause a problem for slips as they walk on the shavings.

5. Birdwatcher804

Apr 24, 2017
    East Tennessee
    Do I need to be concerned with sanitizing it before I put my chicks in there? Is is possible there could be any bugs or parasites in the box from the previous inhabitants.

6. Doc Schoepp

Doc Schoepp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2017
    Colorado Springs
    I used a very weak bleach solution on our coop about twice a year when we do our major cleanout. I keep the hens away until it is well washed and dried out so they dont try and drink the water. I have not raised chicks yet though but I would think a similar solution would work to clean a brooder out if there are no chicks present yet.

Birdwatcher804 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by