1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cleaning your own house after chickens have lived in it.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mamadukes1, Nov 29, 2015.

1. mamadukes1

mamadukes1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2015
    Can someone tell me the best way to clean a room where you had raised baby chicks in and its loaded with dust etc. I have bedding, kids toys etc and want to make sure all is clean before grandkids go back in and play in that room. Do I need to remove the carpet?

Can anyone give me some input here please and thanks

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    A good thorough vacuuming and dusting should do the trick. You could also disinfect the hard surfaces, I would recommend an oxi-type cleaner/disinfectant as they are much less toxic.

3. mamadukes1

Jul 29, 2015
    Thank you I appreciate the info! Gonna clean carpets this weekend

4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    When keep chicks in the house, I put them in a large plastic bin with a lid I make out of chicken wire that I hand sew taffeta material to. It helps a with that bird dust. Once a week I shoot it with the garden hose & dry it out, still need to dust furniture and floors but it's not as bad.

5. mamadukes1

Jul 29, 2015
    Thanks everyone carpets and walks and room clean[​IMG][​IMG] what a god ughh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by