Purina Layena pellets is their main diet. For treats: apples, cabbage, oranges (very sweet), strawberries, bananas, shrimp salad (dried shrimp mix)... I think that's it. I'm not sure about.the fecal float. There's a vet that takes chickens nearby, I'll give them a call and ask!
You could try eliminating the treats and see if the diarrhea clears up. I fed my 3 chickens a little scratch grain & they gradually started having diarrhea. I stopped the scratch grain & the diarrhea stopped. I’ve found that my girls do better when the treats are few and far between; ymmv. Hope they feel better soon!

Hey all, Digger has a vet appointment today. I'm having trouble getting a fecal sample since her poo is literally liquid... I put her in a kennel with a "puppy pad" on the floor. Hoping she'll poop in there so I'll have something to give the docs.

New update! We gave the doctor a fecal sample on Tuesday and got the results today. They came back negative!!! :wee I'm so glad my baby doesn't have any worms. The doctor prescribed her antibiotics that she'll take twice per day. Now, here's where MY dilemma comes in... It is SO hard to give Digger her liquid medicine. She squirms so much that I can't get a steady hold on her head and mouth to just shoot bits of the liquid into her mouth. How do YOU all administer meds? I really need some tips...

New update! We gave the doctor a fecal sample on Tuesday and got the results today. They came back negative!!! :wee I'm so glad my baby doesn't have any worms. The doctor prescribed her antibiotics that she'll take twice per day. Now, here's where MY dilemma comes in... It is SO hard to give Digger her liquid medicine. She squirms so much that I can't get a steady hold on her head and mouth to just shoot bits of the liquid into her mouth. How do YOU all administer meds? I really need some tips...
Four hands, my husband and I work together, one of us grabs the chicken's body while the other gets the syringe and opens their mouth. Onse someone has a strong hold on them they don't struggle much.

Glad you were able to see the vet. Did the vet say what type of illness/condition that she has since they prescribed antibiotics?

Stand her on a table, drape one arm over her and pull her to your body - wedge her gently with your elbow. This allows you to you the draped arm hand to hold the head/pull on the wattles to open her beak. The other hand, syringe the meds into her.
I do all my birds by myself.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...er-construction-check-back-for-updates.73335/

Glad you were able to see the vet. Did the vet say what type of illness/condition that she has since they prescribed antibiotics?

Stand her on a table, drape one arm over her and pull her to your body - wedge her gently with your elbow. This allows you to you the draped arm hand to hold the head/pull on the wattles to open her beak. The other hand, syringe the meds into her.
I do all my birds by myself.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...er-construction-check-back-for-updates.73335/
Thank you for the guide! I was able to give Digger her medicine today with relative ease. At least a lot easier than before!

From what I recall, the vet didn't mention any specifics about what we're treating. Just that the antibiotics are to treat any possibility of a bacterial infection, I think? I'm checking in with him tomorrow, so I'll ask what he wants to do from here since her fecal came back negative.

Four hands, my husband and I work together, one of us grabs the chicken's body while the other gets the syringe and opens their mouth. Onse someone has a strong hold on them they don't struggle much.
I unfortunately have to do mine with one set of hands. 😆 But thanks to the forums and a YouTube tutorial, it was a lot easier!

One of my hens was seriously ill last summer and still has to take worming medication regularly. Thankfully she's fighting fit now but when she's being extremely stroppy about taking her medication (fluid wash via syringe to the mouth) pinching the hinge of her beak is the only way to get her to open her mouth- i try avoid this because it only stresses her out, it's a last ditch thing - hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom