Clear liquid out vent

Jul 16, 2018
I'm not sure if this is the right place so here goes.
I just picked up my chicken, large Marge. She had her back to me so I think I surprised her. I felt liquid on my arm so assumed she'd pooed as I'd upset her.
When I put her down there was clear liquid on my arm and all down my shirt. It doesnt smell of anything and all the other chickens pecked up the mess from the floor. As soon as I put her down I could see her vent contract a fair bit and she pooed a tiny bit, and saw something white hanging out. Then after a minute or so she seemed to go back to normal. She is eating OK if that makes any difference.
One thing I noticed before this happened, and I don't know if this has any relevance, is that on approach to the run one of the other chickens was trying to gobble up something long and whitish. I really don't think it was a Cabbage leaf from their pen, I worry it may have come from large Marge.
One other thing, I don't think she's laid an egg today. Bit worried about her. Tried picking her up again but she's not having it!
Can any one offer any advice?

It sounds like the clear liquid that came out was egg white, the white thing you saw hanging out was a soft shell or egg membrane.
The other chickens will definitely gobble that up. I would watch her for a couple of days to see how she does, sometimes egg white/yolk can be an irritation to the oviduct and cloaca. Soft shell eggs are hard to expel, but again, it sounds like she passed it o.k.
Look at this article - is this what you saw? https://hencam.com/henblog/2015/08/a-laying-glitch/

If she were mine, I would give her a direct dose of poultry vitamins like Poultry Nutri-Drench for a couple of days and extra calcium (1/2tablet Caltrate) for about 3-4days in row.

Any update? Several of mine have done this but they seem to be laying normally without issue. It’s just soooo hot in FL right now.

Any update? Several of mine have done this but they seem to be laying normally without issue. It’s just soooo hot in FL right now.
When it has been super hot, I have one hen that has expelled clear liquid and everything else seems fine. My thought is that she's drinking too much and maybe when I picked her up, I squeezed her just enough? I know the original thread is 2 yrs old, but thought I'd answer your question. Not sure what the OP's experience was.

When it has been super hot, I have one hen that has expelled clear liquid and everything else seems fine. My thought is that she's drinking too much and maybe when I picked her up, I squeezed her just enough? I know the original thread is 2 yrs old, but thought I'd answer your question. Not sure what the OP's experience was.
Thank you for your reply!

Back
Top Bottom