Clear mucus in chicken mouth and not eating/drinking on her own

Hopefully the Baytril will help.

Push fluids on her. She can go without food for a couple of days, but not fluids.

I'm not sure what to make of it. I'm inclined the lean toward a blockage in the crop or digestive system, but the bubbles are a bit of a puzzle.

Is she actually pooping or just a discharge?

I wish I had answers for you. Keep me posted.

yellow pus debris that comes out when we swab her mucus to make her more comfortable. There is a pus plaque spot above her glottis, and these two came from her nasal palat. I'm thinking wetpox or trich based on that new symptom. Hopefully Trich.
Is there a bad odor?
If a bad odor then Canker (Trichomoniasis).
If no odor, then either Thrush/Fungal infection, respiratory infection or possibly Wet Form Fowl Pox. Usually with any form of Fowl Pox there's still some lesions on the outside of the beak or face - do you see anything like that?

The Baytril may be helping to break it up, if it is, then I'd lean towards some type of bacterial infection. BUT then again it can make Thrush/Fungal infections worse, so I have to wonder...

Don'tcha love it when people type out loud. I'm musing over all the possibilities here and still don't have an answer.

I'm glad she's eating.
If she's getting scratch, do make sure grit is available free choice.

Yes, the crop is on the right side of the breast, if she's been eating/drinking, you should be able to feel a slight fullness there. Sometimes a good way to get your bearings is to feel of another hen or pullet of similar size and do a comparison.

Green poop can be from not eating, so hopefully that's the reason for that. The Baytril will take care of most infections.
Canker sometimes needs Metronidazole, but the Baytril may knock it out.

I think you are doing all you can. Hopefully she's taking a turn for the better. Getting outside if always a good thing for them even for a short period of time.

Please keep me posted on how she's doing.

Back
Top Bottom