Clear or Red infrared light?

I use a red bulb, because i have had chicks that were under a clear bulb that started pecking eachother to the point of drawing blood. The only thing I don't like about it is, it makes the pictures fuzzy when i go to take pictures of them! Haha
roll.png

I'm not sure about chickens overly much, but with my first brood of 60 day-old Northern Bobwhite Quail, we made the mistake of leaving the overhead white light on as well as the heating red light. We had quite a bit of issues of hemoraging (do to them pecking each other), from the light, it was even worse when we had a local wildfire. When they were switched to the red light, it almost completely stopped. So I recommend a red light, especially if your breed is known for "cannabalism", which is usually just the aggressive pecking of one another (Chickens and pheasants are worse then most species of quail, though I cannot remember where I read this at)

I have experienced that giving red fruit (strawberries and tomatoes) causes them to peck at each other a lot less and reduces feather pulling. So if you don't have a red light, or cannot obtain one and the chicks are old enough, you could keep the white light on and give them red fruit. I believe the red catches their attention as chicks. (The same works for water with vitamins, they'll get over the taste of the vitamins if it's a red color or any other odd color.)

Last edited:
I'm not sure about chickens overly much, but with my first brood of 60 day-old Northern Bobwhite Quail, we made the mistake of leaving the overhead white light on as well as the heating red light. We had quite a bit of issues of hemoraging (do to them pecking each other), from the light, it was even worse when we had a local wildfire. When they were switched to the red light, it almost completely stopped. So I recommend a red light, especially if your breed is known for "cannabalism", which is usually just the aggressive pecking of one another (Chickens and pheasants are worse then most species of quail, though I cannot remember where I read this at)

I have experienced that giving red fruit (strawberries and tomatoes) causes them to peck at each other a lot less and reduces feather pulling. So if you don't have a red light, or cannot obtain one and the chicks are old enough, you could keep the white light on and give them red fruit. I believe the red catches their attention as chicks. (The same works for water with vitamins, they'll get over the taste of the vitamins if it's a red color or any other odd color.)
So funny about them pecking at the color red. I had red paint stains on my hands and they went crazy pecking at it- and they also will peck at any scrapes/cuts I have that are red.

I bought a red one after using the clear for a week. I see a diiference already. They see calmer and are sleeping more. I also got worried after reading clear vs red.

Back
Top Bottom