Clear, stinky liquid from swollen vent.

RESQME49

Songster
6 Years
Jan 21, 2018
Olympia Washington
I noticed a bloody vent that was swollen a few days ago and now its not bloody, but has clear liquid saturating it. And it smells kind of fishy. Her vent is swollen still. She doesnt seem bothered or lame and is still laying large eggs. She is eating and drinking fine. Any ideas on what it could be? I'll try to get a picture attached.

D563968D-24FC-4C62-B5CC-4A82B958691F.png
B9993990-55CE-446B-B203-A3708AAA0177.jpeg

Still hard to believe nobody has anything to offer on this Lol after extensive googling I have come to the conclusion it is possibly vent gleet.

Hi. My chickens seem to be experiencing something similar. One died yesterday which prompt me to examine them all, they have pasty butts, smelly diarrhea, one of them a swollen vent. Let me know if you find anything. I just hope itsi not a virus going around?

Hi
The original post sounds like she may have prolapsed and perhaps also have a vent gleet infection going on. Prolapse can sometimes be associated with a dietary imbalance and as a result carrying too much fat around the abdominal area and vent which makes laying eggs progressively more difficult until they push too hard and part of the oviduct comes out with the egg.
What do you feed your hens including main feed and treats?

Back
Top Bottom