Clhoe

chickenmommie

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 17, 2010
67961_clhoe.jpg

Hi all this is one of my chickens as you can see she is bald on her back, she has been like that for a few months can anyone tell me what might be wrong? thank you And That is Red my mean old rooster next to her

could it be from the mean ole rooster? they can do that in mating, One of my hens has feathers missing where the roo grabs her during mating. Also have you checked her for mites or lice?

I dont think it is Red I will check her for mites and other bugs thanks I am new at it my husband had chickens when he was younger but he doesnt rembr alot!! Thank you
hide.gif

I put one of those saddles on one of my hens, I wish you could have seen her she didn't think she could walk it was so funny. Are any of your other chickens looking like this hen chickenmommie?

No only little clhoe is looking like that... She is a little hen poor thing!!! LOL Its not funny but I do feel sorry for her

D.gif

Roosters will tread on the backs of hens during mating. Mating happens very quickly, so you may have missed it. I would suggest an apron or saddle for her. They are pretty easy to put on, and after the first few minutes, she most likely won't fight it anymore. It will keep her from further injury, there, and may allow for feather regrowth underneath.

then more than likely she's being bred by the roos too much, seems they pick one and over do. Still wouldn't hurt to check for mites seems they are a problem right now too.

I have had to put saddles on some of my hens because they looked exactly like your hen. I believe it is caused by the roosters mating and causing feather loss on the hens' backs. The saddles do work well. My hens fuss for a few minutes when I put the saddles on them, then they seem to forget the saddle.
wink.png

If it's not external paracites or mating, then it's pecking. I have a hen who was getting eaten alive by the other chickens-she looked just like that. They plucked all of her feathers off and ate them-nearly put her through hell what with the cold season approaching.

Back
Top Bottom