Clicker training

NWHeather

Chirping
Feb 7, 2020
eastern WA, near the Idaho border
I searched and read a couple threads on clicker training, and I find it fascinating and thought provoking!
I keep Belgian Malinois, and do a variety of training with them.
I was listening to a podcast (Working Dog Radio) with Mike Suttle (Logan Haus) and he mentioned in his training classes, he has the students work with chickens on clicker training, and how it helps the students timing become much better. He even travels for training seminars, and brings dogs and chickens.
I started thinking about the different possibilities for clicker training chickens, and maybe setting up a little agility course or something. I started agility with a couple of my Mal's last year before I moved to the other side of the state. I had/have no intention of trialing, because I am horrible at remembering patterns, and I cannot run. LOL
It's a fun outlet for two of my younger Mal's, and I plan on setting up a mini course for them in the new training area I plan on setting up on the property.

For those of you who have done any sort of training with your chickens, would you mind sharing some of the things you have trained them on? I read somewhere about someone using the clicker sound to call them to you...?
I have done a bit of whistle recall with my dogs, and wondered if that was something that would work with the chickens. I would think it would, but what are your thoughts?

I have been using animal-like sounds made by mouth. They can include clicks and smacks. Some verbal components where sounds made repeatedly in rapid succession. Chickens I work with much more intelligent than most people train.
Many years ago, I had a horse, and I still find myself using that clicking sound with my mouth for the dogs, or other critters. LOL

Learn chicken language, then use it.
Mine have taught me to know someone's laying or they see a predator.
Today my eldest told me she wanted an apple by repeatedly picking up and dropping the remnant peel from yesterday's one while staring at me sideways in between! LOL
:th

Back
Top Bottom