Cliff Swallows & Hawks

Eggseronious

Songster
14 Years
Mar 6, 2008
East Tennessee
For those of you who dont know the Cliff Swallow they are in the Martin family. They build mud nest that look like a hornets nest when you first see it. I have several in the last few years that have taken up their summer vacation here, yes they are migratory birds. I have around 50 plus nest under the eave of a shop building. Its around 20 feet high. Until the last few weeks I had never noticed them doing anything except building nest and catching insects. However the last few weeks since its been raining most ever day I have been looking out the shop door alot and have really noticed these Cliff Swallows at work helping the Hawk problem. Hey these little fellers will simply drive a Hawk insane
old.gif
and will not stop till he is long gone. I have seen other birds work at this but let me tell you these are the best!
lau.gif
I just wish they didn't leave for South America in the winter.

I like when the little guy wins!!!

I saw the funniest thing about a month ago.

The resident red tail was sitting on top of the dusk to dawn light. The local crows where dive bombing the hawk as usual. The local black bird population were in turn harassing the crows. It was quite the scene.

We have Violet-green Swallows they are beautiful and so fun to watch zoom around in the evening eating bugs and just having a great time.

I wonder if they would take on any of the hawks or the huge ravens we have here?

We have this lazy red tail who waits for the crows to attack him just sits there until one lands beside him jumps on it and flys off w/ it other birds chasing it.

Back
Top Bottom