Climbing Predators??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SouthernBYChickens, Dec 19, 2011.

1. SouthernBYChickens

SouthernBYChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    I live in town (not too large) in North Alabama and I am hoping the predators are limited around here. I am putting up a fence (2x4) dog wire or whatever people call it. My fence is going to be around 6 feet tall. When it comes to predators, what do I need to worry about when it comes to climbing predators?? The coop will be predator proof (I hope) by the time I get finished with it so I'm not worried about the nights, but I was concerned about anything climbing over the fence during the day. Any concerns I need to be having?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  2. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    Almost every major predator can easily climb your fence. Anything that can't climb it will dig under.

3. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Raccoons would be the major one. Stray cats too. Also birds of prey won't be stopped by a fence, obviously, unless there is a roof also.

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I have a 6 foot chainlink. Over or under I have had cats,dogs,raccoons,possums. I actually had groundhogs that would chew apart the chain links and make it easier for the other animals to crawl through the fence. I put my trap right up against one hole.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by