clipped my chicken's wings and they still are quite "airborne"

ordermatters

Chirping
May 8, 2019
North Hollywood
Hi guys, OK, before I trimmed my 4 chicken's wings ( I decided to only trim one of their wings) ( watched several videos in order to do it right). I clipped the first 10 or 11 lower strong front feathers as suggested up to the short feathers. And that was it. It was easy. No problem. But still. All of the ladies. Behave as nothing happened. They all still hop up quite some high places and behave like it never happened. OK, I have left maybe about 3/4 of an inch left of those long feathers towards those upper short feathers. Could that be the error I made? As all videos clearly said. Not to clip both wings. Therefore I did not. Because with one wing clipped this way they are uneven and aren't supposed to not be able to fly. Well, I guess no one told this to my girs. LOL HELP. LOL

Clipping doesn't directly prevent flight, just reduces efficiency. Some chickens are more affected by the change in feather condition and deterred as a result, but other chickens will still be willing to make an effort to go where they want. I suggest observing the paths your chickens are taking to reach forbidden locations and making the paths less productive.

I had the same experienceas you. My girls were not deterred nor affected at all. So, I clipped the other side. NO change.
What I've learned is this....Some chickens are very determined! Therefore, to keep them inside of the run I had to cover it then, zip tie the "deer netting" to the fencing to keep them in. Once 4:6 lay, they Free Range. My other coop stays inside a secure run after their door opens at 0700.
How tall is your fencing for your run?

Clipping doesn't directly prevent flight, just reduces efficiency. Some chickens are more affected by the change in feather condition and deterred as a result, but other chickens will still be willing to make an effort to go where they want. I suggest observing the paths your chickens are taking to reach forbidden locations and making the paths less productive.
Thank you.:)

What kind of chickens do you have?

My Light Brahma can achieve about 18-24" of height when powerfully-determined to fly (by the sight of me with Dubia roaches at the other end of the run).

My California White can clear the 4-foot electric netting like a helicopter.

I haven't tried it, but I don't need to clip the Brahma to ground her, I suspect that one wing would ground the Blue Australorps (who *can* clear the fence when strongly motivated), but I think that nothing short of a ball and chain would keep that California White on the ground. :)

What kind of chickens do you have?

My Light Brahma can achieve about 18-24" of height when powerfully-determined to fly (by the sight of me with Dubia roaches at the other end of the run).

My California White can clear the 4-foot electric netting like a helicopter.

I haven't tried it, but I don't need to clip the Brahma to ground her, I suspect that one wing would ground the Blue Australorps (who *can* clear the fence when strongly motivated), but I think that nothing short of a ball and chain would keep that California White on the ground. :)
I have one Ameraucana, Plymouth, Russian Orloff, and American Bresse.

try clipping both sides
I was going to but every video I watched and every source said that one side would make them feel uneven harder to try to take off. With both sides clipped. All they would do is developing more strength in their flight muscles and then be able to fly after all. That is why I didn't do it. But thank you for your idea. :) ( Love your flag) :)

I had the same experienceas you. My girls were not deterred nor affected at all. So, I clipped the other side. NO change.
What I've learned is this....Some chickens are very determined! Therefore, to keep them inside of the run I had to cover it then, zip tie the "deer netting" to the fencing to keep them in. Once 4:6 lay, they Free Range. My other coop stays inside a secure run after their door opens at 0700.
How tall is your fencing for your run?
8 feet.

Back
Top Bottom