Clipped wings NOT growing back?

melissamerry

Songster
7 Years
Aug 17, 2012
Goleta, California
My two girls are 10 months old, and molted maybe a little over a month ago. They grew back their feathers and are ready for a new clip. Not my drake though. He's the same age, and he was clipped at the same time as the girls. However, I don't know if he molted. The girls barely showed any signs of it, except for the extra amount of feathers in the apartment
hmm.png
. The girls are flapping around and getting some air time, but poor old Finn is weighted down still.

Is it possible that the lady who clipped his wings for me did it too low and now he's permanently clipped? Or do drakes molt later on than ducks? I would like to take them all together to get them clipped again at the same time, and hopefully soon before the girls fly away with their new wild mallard boyfriends.

My two girls are 10 months old, and molted maybe a little over a month ago. They grew back their feathers and are ready for a new clip. Not my drake though. He's the same age, and he was clipped at the same time as the girls. However, I don't know if he molted. The girls barely showed any signs of it, except for the extra amount of feathers in the apartment
hmm.png
. The girls are flapping around and getting some air time, but poor old Finn is weighted down still.

Is it possible that the lady who clipped his wings for me did it too low and now he's permanently clipped? Or do drakes molt later on than ducks? I would like to take them all together to get them clipped again at the same time, and hopefully soon before the girls fly away with their new wild mallard boyfriends.
My ducks molt in the fall so I'm not sure what's happening with yours, but I'd go ahead and get the girls done before Finn loses his girls to some wild boy. He may not molt till the fall.

How strange! I guess the girls are just over achievers. Could anything environmental be speeding up the process? They eat Mazuri's waterfowl maintenance feed daily. They get some tomatoes or romaine mid day, and some fish/crickets/worms about twice a week. They get clean bathing water every day, which is separate from their drinking water. Our weather is sunny and bright. Nothing seems out of the ordinary, right?

How strange! I guess the girls are just over achievers. Could anything environmental be speeding up the process? They eat Mazuri's waterfowl maintenance feed daily. They get some tomatoes or romaine mid day, and some fish/crickets/worms about twice a week. They get clean bathing water every day, which is separate from their drinking water. Our weather is sunny and bright. Nothing seems out of the ordinary, right?
Are they laying? hormones can play a part too I would think.

They don't have a regular laying schedule. For a while it was an egg or two from each girl around the morning or in the afternoon. Then they "molted" and they stopped. They finished and only one girl was laying eggs a couple times a week. The other girl was digging a nest and sitting in it, but not laying. I don't think I've seen an egg in about two weeks though. They've never been consistent layers. I did have one lay an egg while she was in my lap. That was a surprise!

They don't have a regular laying schedule. For a while it was an egg or two from each girl around the morning or in the afternoon. Then they "molted" and they stopped. They finished and only one girl was laying eggs a couple times a week. The other girl was digging a nest and sitting in it, but not laying. I don't think I've seen an egg in about two weeks though. They've never been consistent layers. I did have one lay an egg while she was in my lap. That was a surprise!
Since they are Mallards they may have a whole different schedule of laying and molting than Muscovy's maybe go to the Mallard thread and talk to some other that have them and see what they think. evidently others are having ducks molting right now since I saw a few other threads about feathers flying. That must have really been a surprise to have an egg laid in your lap. Kinda like being a midwife.
tongue.png

Since they are Mallards they may have a whole different schedule of laying and molting than Muscovy's maybe go to the Mallard thread and talk to some other that have them and see what they think. evidently others are having ducks molting right now since I saw a few other threads about feathers flying. That must have really been a surprise to have an egg laid in your lap. Kinda like being a midwife. :p

It definitely was a surprise! She gave a sweet cooing sound, popped the egg out and then ran away like she scared herself.

Some people think the weather might be affecting them, who knows. Finn is molting as we speak and refuses to mount the girls. They are going crazy and quacking up a storm.

To make them even more frustrated, I clipped their wings today! It was my first time doing it. Last time I took them to a bird clinic to get them clipped. This time I did it with success! They are currently pounting in the corner, but I feel more at ease!

It definitely was a surprise! She gave a sweet cooing sound, popped the egg out and then ran away like she scared herself.

Some people think the weather might be affecting them, who knows. Finn is molting as we speak and refuses to mount the girls. They are going crazy and quacking up a storm.

To make them even more frustrated, I clipped their wings today! It was my first time doing it. Last time I took them to a bird clinic to get them clipped. This time I did it with success! They are currently pounting in the corner, but I feel more at ease!
Good for you for doing it yourself, main thing is getting them short enough so they can't fly. especially all the places your lil one get to go with you. Tell the girls Finn will recover and be back to his manly ways soon.
wink.png
and bring out the meal worms that will get them out of the corner,.

Back
Top Bottom