Clipping cochin feathers for breeding

Soooo, I have lots of cochins. Eggs are always fertile, and hatch rates are excellent. Never have trimmed
idunno.gif

Quote:
I am so glad to hear this -- this is my first year breeding Cochins and I have never heard of plucking or clipping. I'm going to set some eggs and check fertility first.

Becky

Quote:
PLucked feathers begin to grow back immediately. Scissored feathers don`t grow back until they moult. If you do a decent job with scissors, there will be no problems. If the clippers work OK, check for stubble.........Pop

I agree 100% with Pop. I breed Bantam Brahmas and have found that to be true. I have tried plucking and the feathers grow back QUICKLY. I now trim all my breeder birds.

Unless you're an expert with those electric clippers and can hold your birds perfectly still, I'd be real hesitant to use them - especially around the vent!

I trim the landing strips with scissors - and I buy ones with rounded ends - I just don't want to take any chances poking them.

And the fluff almost seems to disintegrate when you cut it - do it outside, and not when the wind is blowing!

My Cochins are all very docile and friendly - the last thing I want them to do is associate me with the pain of plucking.

Quote:
Thank you for the safety alerts! I am very new to this and treasure all the combined knowlege of those who are experienced! I know that the breeder I am getting my Bantam Cochins from stated she plucks
hide.gif
so hopefully I can make mine more comfortable with a more gentle approach. My quad of SQ Cochins comes the first week of April!! I cannot wait
celebrate.gif

~Julie

Hatchery stock will often be able to breed without the aid of trimming due to the lack of breed type. Exhibition quality cochins on the other hand will require trimming to get fertility. The problem with trimming is that is renders the bird unshowable until molting has taken place and new feathers are back in place. My birds normally are not trimmed from September through December then they get the clipped butt look and go in the breeding pens. Bantams may require more agressive trimming than large fowl, meaning you may have to remove some of the tip of the main tail feathers as well as some of the cushion on the sides of the bird as these feathers can be pushed down during breeding and block the process as well.
I had 20 large cochins hatch today which brings me to about 50 so far and the incubator is full at 260 eggs.

Bo

Trimmed mine last week after 0 % fertillity. Gonna set some this weekend and see how it did. If it doesnt get the job done Ill start AI next. Mine have so much fluff its unreal but they didnt mind the trimming at all
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom