Clipping one or two wings

tikka masala

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 22, 2013
I've recently brought two chickens and clipped one wing only, the chickens are still flying over a 4 foot fence would clipping the other wing make any difference. All the advice i found so far has been contradictory? please help

Everyone I have talked to in person that have actually raised chickens say clip both.

I clip both. My birds when clipped on one side only can still get as good three feet up. With both clipped then they have a hard time getting two feet up. Same birds intact can fly 20' vertically easy.

Feathers need to be clipped tight to give full desired effect.

And the bad news is, depending on the bird, they may be able to hop on and then over a four foot fence with or without clipped wings. Some of the birds (leghorns mostly) I have clipped feathers on, and I mean clipped everything there is to clip, are able to get out of a four foot pen by jumping on the top rail. They haven't been able to get out of a six foot pen. If they are still jumping out after you clip, you could try stringing netting or a wire or two extending the top of the fence (something like electric fence posts tied to the existing posts works) so they get knocked back when they try to jump on top.

And the bad news is, depending on the bird, they may be able to hop on and then over a four foot fence with or without clipped wings. Some of the birds (leghorns mostly) I have clipped feathers on, and I mean clipped everything there is to clip, are able to get out of a four foot pen by jumping on the top rail. They haven't been able to get out of a six foot pen. If they are still jumping out after you clip, you could try stringing netting or a wire or two extending the top of the fence (something like electric fence posts tied to the existing posts works) so they get knocked back when they try to jump on top.
Indications of poor clipping job.

"Indications of poor clipping job."

Well, when there are literally no feathers left on the wings that are not down to the skin, I am not sure exactly what you want me to clip. Some chickens jump really well, if you have one of those, which as I mentioned, some of my young leghorn type birds seem to be able to do, clipping simply does not work well enough to keep them in a four foot fence, it does not ground them enough.

Wait, are you talking about pinioning them like they do with ducks etc? I've never had a chicken with that done. Clipping and pinioning should keep anything on the ground though I would think, though it would not help with good jumpers.

My birds can fly circles around leghorns and jump every bit as well. Proper clipping can render wings useless in propelling birds in flight until molt replaces such clipped feathers. Properly clipped feathers not only do not provide aerodynamic lift, they also do not provide thrust. Adequate reduction of thrust prevents clambering which is likely still done by your birds scaling 4-foot walls / fences.

My birds can fly circles around leghorns and jump every bit as well. Proper clipping can render wings useless in propelling birds in flight until molt replaces such clipped feathers. Properly clipped feathers not only do not provide aerodynamic lift, they also do not provide thrust. Adequate reduction of thrust prevents clambering which is likely still done by your birds scaling 4-foot walls / fences.

What's the proper method of clipping? I'll be needing to clip mine when I get them home...was planning on the 1-wing job until I read this post.

See following link but modify.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-clip-trim-the-wings-of-your-chicken-to-prevent-flight

Cut the all the primaries so they extend no more than an inch beyond flesh of wing. Example in thread above is not cut quit tight enough. Feel around a lot to become familiar with all the feathers of the wings and how they are actually connected to the living tissue. You want to be comfortable as you give such a close cut. Make certain scissors are heavy enough for job. Many people cut too far out because scissors are too light. This time of year some birds will be in process of molting wing feathers which will cause two complications. First, feathers in blood will bleed but I do not think the birds can feel and second, cut feathers may soon be replaced with uncut versions.

Back
Top Bottom