Clipping wings???

Thanks nutcase. I have read all of this thread and the online articles on how to clip. But there's nothing on when to clip. How long does it take for guinea wing feathers to "grow out"?10 weeks - the age of my birds? 12 weeks? Or 16 (slaughter age)? Can I assume that there will be blood in the wing feather while the feathers are still growing? Can I see blood in a dark feathered bird's feather before I cut the feather? I'm new at this and don't want to damage the birds through ignorance, but I have to clip before I release them into the corral. They are getting a bit feisty and bored with being confined!!

Sorry these are late. I won't bore you with my problems uploading photos. The birds are about 10days older now. The lower photo shows their cage. Its a dog cage with a solid floor they use for dust baths and feeding with a run built on. Its about 4metres by 1 metre by a metre high

They look plenty old enough to have their wings clipped. You might need a second person to help if they struggle - you don't want to hurt them with your scissors. You could refer to the picture I posted earlier in the thread.

Many thanks nutcase, that's all very clear and so are your illustrations. I'll just get on with it!

Your guinea struggle with the wing thing has been interesting to follow. Have you clipped yet? I am a chicken myself and have not done it. I don't know if I ever will, they just won't have as much freedom.

hi Southtx
I have never corresponded with a chicken before! Clipped or free flying? I have to wait a couple of days more to do mine until my wife can give me a hand. I will keep you posted!
I want my birds for eggs and meat and to breed. I don't think that's possible with free flying guineas, at least not without big losses and a lot of messing around. My birds aren't pets even though they are engaging and beautiful creatures.

Back
Top Bottom