Clipping wings

It depends on a few things...I have not clipped mine at all, they are in a nice big yard with almost a 6 foot fence and have never once tried to get out. I let them keep their wings since I have a good but overzealous and sometimes bored herding dog that sometimes delights in doing chicken fly bys. The full wing capacity gives them a little more confidence and maneuvering ability I think. If they were trying to visit the neighbors I would then clip the culprits but for instance my almost 10 lb Buff Orpington would never be a flight risk since she is too heavy. Most clip wings when they are being too mobile for their own good. Mine use those wings to get to and off some nice roosting spots that I don't mind them using so no need to clip.
Edit: mine are over a year old by the way. The 9+ week old babies will get the same chance to prove trustworthiness but the minute I see one eyeing the top of the fence, the scissors will come out.

Last edited:
I was wondering the same thing, but I think I will wait for a few months, and for reasons pointed out by newmarch. I have a LO that flew out of my 20" deep brooder tote at 2 weeks old!!

I was wondering the same thing, but I think I will wait for a few months, and for reasons pointed out by newmarch. I have a LO that flew out of my 20" deep brooder tote at 2 weeks old!!
Oh yeah, my babies surprised me getting out of the 2 foot tall brooder earlier than I expected at 3 weeks, had husband find the screens to go over the top quick. They are putting full wing capacity to use in their forays in the run since they use them to glide off the 4 foot tall compost walls after making their way up.

Oh yeah, my babies surprised me getting out of the 2 foot tall brooder earlier than I expected at 3 weeks, had husband find the screens to go over the top quick. They are putting full wing capacity to use in their forays in the run since they use them to glide off the 4 foot tall compost walls after making their way up.

I bet that's a sight. I already had a screen over the brooder because with 10 in there, they were already bouncing off of each other and getting close to the top at a week! I had removed the screen to clean it out and change the water and little girl just hopped right out! lol Luckily, I think it scared her and she just sat where she landed until I snatched her up.

Back
Top Bottom