Cloaca exam for egg binding - END DIAGNOSIS EGG YOLK PERITONITIS

I received results from Lynne's necropsy this evening. She died from egg yolk peritonitis. Vet said to make sure the rest of the hens are getting enough calcium. She had shown no sign of a broken egg. If I had started antibiotics at the first sign of lethargy, in a high enough dose, she might have made it.

Lesson learned. RIP Lynne.

I received results from Lynne's necropsy this evening. She died from egg yolk peritonitis. Vet said to make sure the rest of the hens are getting enough calcium. She had shown no sign of a broken egg. If I had started antibiotics at the first sign of lethargy, in a high enough dose, she might have made it.

Lesson learned. RIP Lynne.

Thank you for passing this on. It will certainly be something I'll watch for and will learn from your experience. Sorry you had to go through this. Just don't feel alone.

Thanks for the update. Don't beat yourself up, 'cause everything I've read say it's not usually treatable even with the most powerful antibiotics, and it would have cost you several hundreds in blood tests, xrays, lab work just to find out what to treat, and what antibiotics to give, then the vet probably would have suggested supportive care of some type. I think one person here just went through the same thing and their vet bill was $2000 *and* the hen has to have hormone implants at $170 every six months.

-Kathy

Good info. Thanks to you both. Luckily none of my other hens are having any problems, but I think I know what to watch out for now!

Back
Top Bottom