Cloaca exam for egg binding - END DIAGNOSIS EGG YOLK PERITONITIS

Your story is from 2014, but the message is not getting through as it should.
My chicken, Poppy, was suffering from weight loss, penguin walking, wet diahrrea, standing with her tail down, laying down a lot. All of these symptoms are often attributed to egg binding. One vet even said that was what she had. He gave her calcium and a penicillin type drug. He said that sometimes eggs can set up there for a while and to wait and see what happened.
These symptoms are more likely to be egg-yolk peritonitis and should be seen to right away. Egg-yolk peritonitis, according to a second vet, is way and above more common that egg-binding.
I refer to this article:
http://www.theveterinaryexpert.com/backyard-poultry/egg-yolk-peritonitis/
Poppy is currently out of surgery where the vet removed copious fluid, 6 egg yolks, and one stuck egg yolk in her oviduct.
She may not recover from the surgery, she may have continued problems afterwards.
However, if she had been diagnosed earlier, by the first vet, and by the majority of posts on the internet, she would be standing a better chance.
I intend to post the symptoms and the possible diagnosis wherever I can as a counter to the information that might lead someone to egg binding.
Thanks for the forum.
Gayle

Your story is from 2014, but the message is not getting through as it should.
My chicken, Poppy, was suffering from weight loss, penguin walking, wet diahrrea, standing with her tail down, laying down a lot. All of these symptoms are often attributed to egg binding. One vet even said that was what she had. He gave her calcium and a penicillin type drug. He said that sometimes eggs can set up there for a while and to wait and see what happened.
These symptoms are more likely to be egg-yolk peritonitis and should be seen to right away. Egg-yolk peritonitis, according to a second vet, is way and above more common that egg-binding.
I refer to this article:
http://www.theveterinaryexpert.com/backyard-poultry/egg-yolk-peritonitis/
Poppy is currently out of surgery where the vet removed copious fluid, 6 egg yolks, and one stuck egg yolk in her oviduct.
She may not recover from the surgery, she may have continued problems afterwards.
However, if she had been diagnosed earlier, by the first vet, and by the majority of posts on the internet, she would be standing a better chance.
I intend to post the symptoms and the possible diagnosis wherever I can as a counter to the information that might lead someone to egg binding.
Thanks for the forum.
Gayle
Great link that everyone should read!

Back
Top Bottom