1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

clogged duck nose???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by yellwkat, Apr 18, 2016.

1. yellwkat

yellwkat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    Merced, CA
    one of my ducks was panting earlier today so I jumped on here to read what might be causing it; I read that it could be a clogged nose so I looked at its nose. It does look like there's gunk in ut but he won't dunk and flush it out. I can see straight through the other ducks nose but not this ones, should I pick it out?

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You could try using a Q-tip and warm water first to see if you can manage to remove the worst of it.

CT

1 person likes this.
  3. DucksAndGardens

DucksAndGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    Put him in a bathtub of warm water and see if he can clear it himself. If that doesn't work turn on the shower so it rains on him and see if that helps. I wouldn't pick at it unless it really is clogged all the way through but I find that a warm steamy shower can clear up the worst stuffed up nose. :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I agree with DucksandGardens - water the temperature of the brooder, no soap, time in the tub for 5 or ten minutes and then back to the brooder, and gently wiped dry with a washcloth.

5. yellwkat

yellwkat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    Merced, CA
    awesome thank you so much. He's not panting anymore but I still can't see through his nose liks I can the other one. I'm a Veterinary Assistant so it's making me want to bring home some forceps and dig it out but I don't know how sensitive their sinus cavity is.

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It's sensitive . . . the best is to let the little one have frequent access to water deep enough to rinse his or her entire head in, to soften the material, and then their instincts to snoot the water through can get it out of there.

7. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    You will definately want to let the caked material soften with water before making any attempt to remove it. If it is stuck hard in the nostril like a plug you could do tissue damage trying to pry it loose. Encourage the duck to splash its bill in water as much as possible and it should soften up and work its way loose. You can gently wipe it with a warm wet swab to help loosen it but be gentle.

1 person likes this.
  8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I wonder if one of those bulbs used to clear human infant noses might help.

9. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington

I have used them effectively for sucking water out of a nearly drowned duckling. You have to hold the bill and one nostril closed to get suction.

10. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    For nare clogs, I think if they are softened with water for a while, then the bulb is used without stopping up the other nare, it ought to pull out what's soft enough to be pulled out.

'Cause we don't want to pull air out of the little's lungs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by