Cloning Mammoths in Japan

Man has always messed with mother nature and not always or even very often had bad results come of it. We've chosen not necessarily the healthiest animals to breed thus bypassing natural selection so that we could have cows that gave more milk, sheep that gave softer and more wool, chickens that laid more or grew so fast that their legs broke. Look at the miniature horse. I can't see any purpose in making horses smaller or bigger but there's a demand and we've been able to fulfill people's needs through selective breeding. Now we have cloning. Not a problem at all. If you had the cow that gives twice as much milk but cannot seem to pass on that trait and in her lifetime will only give birth 6 or 7 times don't you think you'd jump at the chance to clone about 1500 head of that girl and keep trying to find that dominant gene to make ALL cows give that much milk? Now certainly cloning a mammoth doesn't have any altruistic motive other than to see something that hasn't walked the earth in a few thousand years but it's really no different than intentionally breeding cats with short legs or miniature horses is it?

Where, exactly, are they planning on keeping mammoths????! Like Japan wasn't overcrowded enough, already. Perhaps they can clone Godzilla, too, and the mammoths can battle him.

I say bring on the mammoths. And I'm hoping they will be more mammoth like and less elephant like.

Mammoths were very cool animals. Able to subsist on a very sparse diet and withstand a lot of very severe temperatures. Some were rather large but some were not.

They would make nice farm animals for parts of the world where other domestic animals have a hard time surviving.

And if they just want to study them to see why they went extinct, maybe that would be of help to us if climate change was a factor.

I don't think that's why they're really doing it, but I'm too old and too beat up by reality to accept statements like that so easily.

I think it is kind of spooky to bring back the mammoths. I don't want to run into one.
hide.gif

I like elephants much better.
clap.gif

I have been waiting for this announcement since they were discovered whole in siberia. I truly hope they make one.

God creates dinosaur
God destroys dinosaur

God creates man
Man creates dinosaur
Dinosaur destroys man
Woman rules the earth

(quote from Jurassic Park)

Well, from a scientist point of view it's a great break through, but is it a smart idea? The Earth is very different from the time mammoths roamed it, will they even be able to cope? Where are they going to store a mammoth
hu.gif
I would think it'd have to be cold at least, but then what would it eat? They would have to grow it in captivity, and what kind of life is that? Then to breed? HOW?! Oh well... there is always going to be something going on
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom