Clops: The Blind Cleft Lid Chick (Updates, Advice, and Discussion Thread)

Pics

FortCluck

Hatch-a-Long Queen
Sep 9, 2019
Central Virginia
**Update**

Clops has cleft eyelids and is blind in one eye. She is thriving so far. She's eating, drinking, pooping, and doing everything all her siblings are doing.

* This thread has been changed into an advice, discussion, and update thread.

Thank you everyone for everything you have to offer on this thread even if it's wishing us luck with her!

We appreciate all of you :hugs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Can someone tell me what's wrong with this chick... I know it's blind in 1 eye, but why are it's eyelids like this?

It's not from my flocks eggs, but I'd like to know it's survival chances. I feel sad for it, I know that sounds ridiculous 🙈

Blind eye

IMG_20200126_131312~2.jpg

IMG_20200126_131314~2.jpg

Other eye

IMG_20200126_131316~2.jpg

IMG_20200126_131323~2.jpg

Last edited:
The poor thing! :hugs

I have no idea what causes that, I'm sure someone might know. I wonder if @Pyxis might know?

Is that the only chick that hatched? Is it able to eat/drink on it's own?
I would feel sad for it as well, I'm not past that, but for me I would cull. Now. That said, you want to give it a chance so I would start getting some poultry vitamins into her right away.
Poultry Nutri-Drench 2-3 drops twice a day or Poultry Cell (same dosage). Encourage her to eat/drink. Wet feed is sometimes easier to manage.

I've not dealt with a chick that can't see well, but some folks have - the main thing I noted from them they kept food and water in the exact same place all the time - chicks can learn quickly. If there's other chicks it can follow around without it getting picked on that would be a help as well since they seem to mimic one another.

Thought you might enjoy this thread about raising a visually-impaired chick. It's pretty heartwarming. 🤗

BTW, I have a visually-impaired (hatched that way) drake...he's several years old now, gets along well with other waterfowl, and doesn't really require any special accommodations. 🙂
Your comments on my thread have really helped my stress level because I understand why some people say to just off the chick... And I see why some people say to give it a chance.

It's stressful to be the person that has to make that decision.

I would like to see if it will thrive as it gets older. It's not because I don't want to cull it, it's because my family has made a final decision that we want to continue to watch it closely.

Basically we sat down and discussed the options... Cull now or wait (then cull or keep later).

It's walking, pooping, eating, and drinking. There's no distress or signs of pain or discomfort.

Thank you for helping my stress 🙈

Your comments on my thread have really helped my stress level because I understand why some people say to just off the chick... And I see why some people say to give it a chance.

It's stressful to be the person that has to make that decision.

I would like to see if it will thrive as it gets older. It's not because I don't want to cull it, it's because my family has made a final decision that we want to continue to watch it closely.

Basically we sat down and discussed the options... Cull now or wait (then cull or keep later).

It's walking, pooping, eating, and drinking. There's no distress or signs of pain or discomfort.

Thank you for helping my stress 🙈
This is the less-fun side of hatching eggs. 🙁 It's a tough decision, but it's yours to make, for whatever reasons you choose. I do understand why some people wouldn't want to deal with a disabled animal...but I think you and I have similar philosophies - if it may have a chance at a good quality of life, why not let it try (unless/until that changes)? You're clearly not averse to ending its suffering if needed, but it doesn't seem to be suffering.

I'm very glad if I've been able to help in some way. 🙂 Personally, I'm hoping you'll have your own inspirational story about your differently-abled chick to share with us someday. Sending good wishes and energy your way. :hugs

I'm with you on giving her a little while. Chickens adapt to about anything. I have a roo with bad eyesight,took some extra time with him and he gets along fine. Yup food and water in the same place,same bowl all the time or he can't find it. But he free ranges with the girls and tidbits for them. Let us know how she does.:fl She is a cutie!
I love it's colors! It's hanging underneath the heat lamp right now passed out. It's eyes fully close so I'm thinking at least that's something positive. It panicked when I picked it up because it's blind eye was toward me, once I turned it, it calmed down when it could see me.

The poor thing! :hugs

I have no idea what causes that, I'm sure someone might know. I wonder if @Pyxis might know?

Is that the only chick that hatched? Is it able to eat/drink on it's own?
I would feel sad for it as well, I'm not past that, but for me I would cull. Now. That said, you want to give it a chance so I would start getting some poultry vitamins into her right away.
Poultry Nutri-Drench 2-3 drops twice a day or Poultry Cell (same dosage). Encourage her to eat/drink. Wet feed is sometimes easier to manage.

I've not dealt with a chick that can't see well, but some folks have - the main thing I noted from them they kept food and water in the exact same place all the time - chicks can learn quickly. If there's other chicks it can follow around without it getting picked on that would be a help as well since they seem to mimic one another.
And I only answered half your questions... Sorry

I actually have 3 others from the same breeder. None have this problem. They're all snuggling together right now. It moved/walked on its own to the food so that's another good sign.

Back
Top Bottom